Monday, April 26, 2010

First Impressions: Yoga Nidra

Well...

This is one of those cases when doing a little research probably would have better prepared me for my first encounter with yoga Nidra.

My impression from the website description at this studio was a relaxing yoga hour. I expected something similar to Svaroopa with assisted poses and long-held gentle stretching.

Nay nay!

Yoga Nidra actually means yogic sleep.

With a bolster under my knees, a blanket for a pillow and a blanket draped over my supine form, I closed my eyes and let the teacher talk us through a deep slumbering meditation (and it included lots of snoring).

While I did hear part of the meditation, I also woke myself up a few times with a startling snore.

I'd expected to have SOME movement, but I have to say...I finished the hour feeling refreshed, cleansed, relaxed, and alert. As if I'd had a delightfully long nap and was ready to face the day.

It's something I'd like to learn more about: what are the effects, how does it work, how does it different from guided meditation, etc...

The folks in the class all seemed to be regulars as the teacher knew them well.

I was slightly amused and slightly intrigued.

If you need a major relaxation or to totally unwind, then Yoga Nidra might be just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: