Thursday, April 29, 2010

Facing the Burrito Demon Through Self-Awareness

Last night in a particularly intense (for me) yoga session, the instructor said something that I found to be incredibly profound:

“Yoga is not about self-improvement. Yoga is about self-awareness.”

Her timing in sharing this little tidbit was auspicious since the intention I’d set for my practice just moments before was “Listen to my body”.

Listen to my body. Easier said than done - tapping into that self-awareness.

----------------------------------------

We don’t realize how hard it can be to really, truly, truthfully listen to our body when we spend most of our time rushing from one task to the next at home, at work, in life...largely in denial of neglecting our most precious resource.

I challenge you to listen to your body.

What does it say? What is it saying right now? What does it say when you’re stressed or anxious or angry at the latest turn of events?

-- Does your body sleep peacefully at night or does it protest and toss and turn?

-- Does your body enjoy the fuel you give it through the food choices you make? Does it stay happy for hours feeling strong and fulfilled or does it constantly object through grumblings and hunger pangs or bloating and indigestion?

-- Do you abuse your body with smoking or drinking alcohol or filling it with sugars and chemicals? Or do you lovingly provide it with precisely the fuel it needs for optimal health and wellness – things like water and tea and organic produce?

-- Does your body relax when you give it a moment to release or is there a perpetual tightness that creeps into your neck or shoulders or face?

-- Do you criticize your body for not being slim enough or strong enough or healthy enough or tan enough or smooth enough, wishing for a different body free from these imperfections?

------------------------------------------

I have a complex and many-layered relationship with my body.

It is out of shape, overweight, occasionally plagued with low back pain or pinching knees or protesting ankles and constantly tense/tight shoulders and neck. But it has carried me through life with as much grace as possible considering the abuse I’ve laid on it for so many years…over eating, under exercising, neglecting it at every turn.

So, how do I transform this life-long habit of abuse into love and nurturing and compassion and acceptance?

It’s a journey and a slow one, at that.

------------------------------------------

Last night, we were doing seated twists but my belly prevented me from getting into the position I wanted in order to get a full twist. I did my best to accept that this is where I am in this moment and I did my best to modify without judgment.

In moments when I’m on the yoga mat doing a yoga practice, I am given permission by my wonderful instructors to sink into this moment called “Now” and to settle deep within myself in order to have an honest dialog.

In challenging poses, I ask my legs for strength, or I ask my breath for precious air, and I do my best to listen to every single cell for cues on how to execute each move to the best of my ability.

Self-awareness comes with a price, though. Holding up a mirror of truth, I begin to see how I got here and it’s not pretty. I am challenged to face my fears, to walk towards them, and then come out the other side wiser and stronger for it. But it’s painful and scary, at times.

--------------------------------------------

After yoga last night, I began experiencing symptoms of my panic attacks. It starts with a tingling in my left arm and chest so my anxiety attacks present much like a heart attack. This sends me off on a ride of worry – Is it anxiety or is it a heart attack this time?

Then, I plunge into anger and fear chastising myself for the latest poor eating choices or for not exercising more, blaming myself for the heart attack that I am now convinced will take me at any moment.

So what did I do in the middle of this panic and fear and self-judgment? I went to Taco Bell and got a burrito.

Yes. You read that right. I got a burrito and immediately started consuming it like it might be my last.

But, something amazing happened.

Halfway through that burrito, I stopped myself and listened.

I realized that I had just made a choice that was perpetuating this awful cycle of self-destruction.

I was scared and ignoring the fear. This pushed me into a desperate search for something comforting (food) which lent itself to the panic that had originally led to my fear in the first place.

In that moment, I saw the awful cycle that I’d created for myself for all of these years.

And while it was a relief to have this moment of insight, I was completely overwhelmed at the size and scope of this cycle that gripped me so tightly. How do you begin undoing a set of habits that have been a standby since childhood?

It all comes back to self-awareness, to being present, and in listening to my body.

It was a step towards healing. One of one hundred million, but it was one. And one step is profound.

“Yoga is not about self-improvement. Yoga is about self-awareness.”

Through self-awareness, I can begin to identify, heal, challenge, accept, grow, and love everything that is me. I’m not becoming aware of myself for anyone or anything. I am looking at myself with honesty and settling into the imperfections and seeing where I come out on the other side.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Dawn, thank you for sharing that honesty with the universe. You write so eloquently and you beautifully share the emotions of your journey. You are an amazing and inspirational resource for so many.

Thank you for the challenge to listen to my body, I need to do more of that!

I too share many of those self-questions and doubts, I have had less of a battle with my body and more with my mind and its inconsistencies to take care of myself in the way that I THINK that I SHOULD. Our minds can be such a powerful force to reckon with.

One of the reasons that I've been so hesitant about sharing my Life Ideals blog is b/c I worry/know that I have yet to attain the Life Ideals that I propose for others. I've not yet achieved what I perceive as my ideal life and I have further to GROW.

However, one of the aspects that I remember about our weekend workshop was that Ken identified the importance of self-disclosure as a tool to connect with others. You do that well by sharing your experiences and identifying that you are on your own journey and it's not always going to be easy or perfect.


I think that part of our self-care journey is to experience the process in a mindful way. Isn't that the self-awareness that you describe?


That is one of the aspects of my ideas; to identify what we want and work toward but also realizing that even THINKING about our ideals/goals can be progress toward them. So what, if you ate a burrito but if in the process you identified that you want to do less of that in the future than you ARE working positively toward and progressing in your goals. Well then, of course, you took it a step further by writing about it and taking the step to allow others to witness your imperfect journey. THANK YOU!!

I AM going to post my Life Ideals blog on our FB page to share with our group members and I would do it right this very moment but I have to go pick up my little girl at day-care. Ahhh, priorities!!

Marc Freedman said...

Dawn,
Every time I visualize your warm, inviting smile, I feel energy to help me face the moment with happiness.
Thank you for your smile.
Marc

Caya: Come As You Are said...

Thank you both for the warm, supportive, kind comments. Remembering the work we did together and knowing that you are there makes me feel so much more brave as I walk this path.

Big hugs to you both! ~Dawn