Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Office Cubicle Yoga – Desktop Down Dog to Desktop Plank



I’m a huge fan of making up yoga poses when I’m trapped in my office cubicle. I’m sure there are books and workshops on office yoga, but discovering interesting ways to incorporate yoga while I’m sitting in my cubicle on a conference call just tickles me to no end.

If you’re trapped in an office or a cubicle each day, then I hope you’ll join me as I share some of our favorite variations of Cubicle Yoga.

Desktop Down Dog to Desktop Plank

Going into a full Down Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana) in my very small cubicle in a fairly high traffic area just isn’t feasible (or safe).

So, I’ve come up with a nice modification that involves utilizing a desktop.

Start with your hands on the edge of your desk. I tend to put my fingers and palm face down on the top of the desk with my thumb hooked over the edge to prevent sliding.

Step back about 3 feet and on an exhale, fold at the hips.

In the pose, I keep my head between my elbows, broaden across my back and shoulders, engage my arms, bend my knees slightly (to start) while pulling up on my abdomen and lengthening my back.

It’s a very active pose with my arms, legs, abs, shoulders, and back all thoughtfully engaged. And while it’s not a full inversion, I can feel a nice stretch and it instantly quiets my mind.

I hold this for a few breaths and then push through my arms and legs to a modified plank with my arms extended straight, legs straight, back long, abs engaged and head in line with back (only do this if your desktop is strong enough to hold most of your weight – my desktop just barely holds my weight so I’m careful to move slowly here…I don’t need to topple the entire 6-pack of cubicles with my cubicle yoga). This modified desktop plank puts you at a nice 45-degree angle somewhere between standing plank on a wall and full plank on the floor.

If I feel my neck and shoulders getting tight from a stressful meeting or a long period of sitting, this is one of my very favorite Cubicle Yoga postures. I’ll do it 4-5 times (or as long as my cube-neighbor is away from their desk) and it’s an instant pick-me-up.

It’s extremely important to find time for yoga every single day, even if it’s 10 minutes of pranayama in the car or a quick Savasana before bed.

Cubicle yoga is an excellent way to bring mindfulness and peace to a place that often yields stress, anxiety, frustration, or a lack of being present in the moment. We hope you’ll give a try and report back on your favorite cubicle modifications!!!

*In our next Cubicle Yoga post, I’ll be sharing an Uttanasana (Forward Fold) modification and a modified Chair Sun Salutation (beware if you’re on wheels!).

No comments: